Monday, March 30, 2015

The Boy from the Crowd





Music is a very personal thing for me. In many ways, it helps define who I am. So when I get asked to say what I think about a song or an album, I take it seriously. I'm also petrified that I will hate the sound, because I am an honest person and wouldn't want to crush anyone's dream. A couple of days ago, I was approached by Vinny from The Boy from the Crowd, offering me a download of Revelator.

Here's what I am talking about:


If it had sucked, I probably would have politely said that it wasn't my kind of thing. After all, I can't possibly give an opinion if I hate the genre. But this song is actually pretty good.

It's not punk, or pop, but the spiky guitar and high energy borrows from both of those genres. But what bands sound similar to this? Well, the vocals at times seem like a more forceful version of Pete Shelley, so I definitely thought of post-Devoto Buzzcocks. I also thought of Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl.


The two have a pretty full sound for a duo. Don't get me wrong, this is not the White Stripes (I thought of them immediately on hearing the word revelator). That said, the guitar does some interesting things, and everything sounds tight.

As a fan of Kristin Hersh, I'm fascinated by the success of CASH music and the way that social media can be such an important tool. I'm happy to help an aspiring band get heard by a few more people. There's definitely a market for this kind of sound. The uplifting delivery could even make it a hit on sports shows, the way Blur's Song 2 did.

If you have three minutes to spare, click the video above and see what you think.

Return to index of every review on the site.


No comments:

Post a Comment