Sunday, May 19, 2013

Some of my favorite movie clips - Episode 2

Favorite Movie Clips - Part 2


I've compiled several favorite movie lists, and the 100 movies series, outlining notable titles and why I think they are worth watching. But I have never picked my favorite clips. There may be some overlap, and you'll see some of my favorite movies on both lists, but there are other titles which have outstanding scenes without being quite good enough to make a Top 100 or a Top 10 of the year.

I'm also aware that a lot of people prefer visuals to pages of text.

This is Part 2 in the series.

Moneyball - It's a Metaphor


Moneyball is loaded with good scenes, and it was hard to choose just one. I was unable to find a full version of the "trade deadline" clip, so I chose this scene near the end of the film. It puts the previous two hours in perspective. I've seen Moneyball about ten times since picking up the Blu-ray 16 months ago. It makes me want to write my own screenplay. If you have never seen the movie, don't dismiss it because you think it's just about sports. Moneyball is about new ways to look at something, and how original thought can produce the desired result. The acting matches the quality of the writing, and I think it will be remembered as one of the best movies featuring sports of any kind.

Reservoir Dogs - The Tipping Scene


Tarantino, Buscemi, and a logical argument against tipping. It's funny, but it also says a lot about Mr. Pink's character. Tarantino's writing is among the best in the business. He can make his characters talk nonsense, but in an intelligent and realistic way. His sense of humor makes regular comedies appear incredibly weak by comparison.

Mulholland Dr. - The Cowboy


Mulholland Dr. contains more bizarre scenes than logical ones, but it makes a strange kind of sense in the end. The movie will never have mass appeal, but those who do appreciate it often mention it as one of the best pieces of cinema they have ever seen. The scene I have chosen may look pointless and out of place if you haven't seen the movie, but it works perfectly in the context of the whole story. If you are the kind of person that enjoys analysis over mulitple viewings, Mulholland Dr. might be something you will learn to love.

Rounders - What's the Limit?


Why do we find poker so fascinating? Why are the top players considered superstars? There's a mystery and appeal about the game that creates mass appeal. Maybe we think that we can do what they do and change our lives in the process? Rounders manages to capture that mystery and turn it into a compelling story. This scene shows why you should never play cards with strangers, unless you're the one with the hidden ability.

The Secret World of Arrietty - First Borrowing


If you read my blog regularly, you'll know that I worship Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. Arrietty was directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, with Miyazaki adapting Mary Norton's book for the screenplay. This early sequence shows how imaginative the story is, and gives you a good idea of what to expect. Like all Ghibli titles, Arrietty features characters that you will care about.

That's enough for now. I hope that some of you check out one or two of these titles if you haven't already. I'll revisit this idea when I have five more clips to share.

What are some of your own favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment