Monday, April 25, 2011

A little about me and this blog


Hi there,

My name is Steve Aldersley. I'm 52 and originally from England, but have lived in Toronto for the past nine years. I recently moved to Oshawa and took the Canadian citizenship oath on February 9, 2012. It feels good to finally be Canadian after working toward that goal for seven years.

I have been writing Fantasy Football articles for the past five years and have decided to branch out and write about one of my other passions.

About four years ago, I watched David Lynch's Mulholland Dr. for the first time. Until then, movies were simple entertainment for me. After experiencing what I believe to be Lynch's best film, things have never been the same. I found myself searching for every theory and opinion I could find in order to better understand Mulholland Dr. and its meaning. I viewed it again the following evening and saw it in a new light.

That one film changed the way I think about cinema.

I'm an analytical guy. Complex stories have always interested me. In fact, I enjoy exploring the layers of music, film, books and even people. It's not that I can't enjoy something that has little depth, but all my favorite things have multiple layers.

For the last year or so I have felt compelled to write movie reviews. I haven't been disciplined about it, choosing to make my comments on Amazon or message boards. A friend has finally convinced me to create this blog so that I can keep my thoughts in one place. I'm not going to set a limit on how much or how little I say in each review; I'll let the quality of the film determine that.

I enjoy a wide range of genres, but my favorites tend to be dramas. My tastes aren't confined to blockbusters or American films, so you can expect to see a mix of those as well as independent and foreign films. You will find everything from Avatar and Harry Potter, to Hayao Miyazaki and Criterion titles.

Blu-ray has helped me enjoy movies even more over the past two years. Many of my reviews will also feature comments on the picture quality and sound quality of Blu-ray releases.

I hope that you will pay me a visit again and I look forward to hearing any comments you may have.

Return to index of every review on the site.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bro,

    Looking forward to your reviews (having been somewhat hopeless with the promised ones of mine). I guess we're both onion lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's hard work. Some reviews can take two hours, plus the time spent watching the movie. I guess all we can do is our best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve. I saw your review of The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Blu-ray) on amazon.ca. I own this box set, but have lost the insert that had the UPC code on it. Do you know where I could get a quality scan of the back sheet with the UPC code? I am trying to create a database entry for this box set using the mymovies software (www.mymovies.dk) and to create an entry for a box set (with children titles) I need a scan of the back sheet that shows the UPC code.

    Thanks,
    Brad (simplynoted@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      I just checked my set and the back sheet is missing too, but I found it in a drawer! I'll send you a scan.

      Steve

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the movie review. It really helps people to know whether to invest money on such movies or not. Today, many experts like you and the one I have been following constantly i.e. Boris Wolfman is sharing their personal thoughts on newly launched movie. However, every reviewer has their own opinion but ultimately the result is based on the audience response.

    ReplyDelete